The road we are traveling always seems so crazy but somehow I seem to love every minute of it. The blessings far

outweigh the chaos. Come ride along and enjoy a few of our bumps, u-turns, rest areas, work zones, steep grades,

speed traps, and scenic views.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sam's Football Season

He is number 66 in the above picture.

On the line he was usually matched up against someone bigger than him. I love this picture of him getting to be the bigger kid.

Ok, so I should have posted this a week or two ago but it never quite happened. As many of you know the debate at our house over whether Sam would play football this year for the first time ever got very heated at times. I obviously lost and Sam played on the 8th grade team. He absolutely loved it. When football first started I worried about him everyday after school (yes, I am just a little protective of my boy). After a little bit of time I relaxed. I started looking forward to picking him up because he was always all smiles. There must be something about being a guy and being able to shove people around and knock them down. For never having played before he got a lot of time playing defensive tackle along with being on both kick off teams. He played offense a handful of times with the highlight being in on a few plays as full back.

The very first game was just starting as I was walking up. The night before Sam had told me he was not on the kick off receiving team. But as I was walking up I saw him on the field and thought I must have his number wrong because he shouldn't be on the field. A few seconds later he received a short kick and ran back about 12-15 yards and then got pummelled. I was cringing the whole time and hoping that it was not him on the bottom of the pile. A few seconds later he ran off the field and pulled his helmet off. It was indeed him and he was all smiles. Well by half time I was very relieved when Mike showed up and I left to get the girls. I was literally sick to my stomach from watching him play.

By the end of the season I had definitely calmed down and could watch the game without feeling ill. By the last game I only slightly cringed when he was hit hard or ended up on the bottom of the pile. It was pure joy watching him have such a great time. Not sure that I am ready for next year but we'll see how it goes.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

I can say this because I am not the mother of the Football player but I absolutely love it when my nephews/brother in laws etc play. It is so fun to watch. Way to go Sam!

Heidi said...

I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or worse about letting Jackson play on a rec league next year!

Tim & Kacey Hammar said...

Way to go Sam! Hopefully the girls, Tim and I can make one of his games next season!

Coil Fam said...

Go Sam for playing football! Go Debbie for keeping her eyes open at the game! I spent most of the time at Andy's wrestling meets with my eyes closed. Love the blog...